The area known as Moor Park was part of a much larger, 3000-acre private Estate, purchased by Lord Leverhulme in 1919, including the area that is now Moor Park Golf Club, together with Moor Park Mansion (the golf clubhouse) and Sandy Lodge Golf Club.
In 1922 development began of 288 acres of parkland. Architects were commissioned to design the infrastructure for the development of dwellings and to supervise the design of new houses. Roads and sewers were constructed, and houses were erected, spreading south and west from the Metropolitan Line station of Sandy Lodge Halt (in 1950 it became Moor Park station). The construction work on housing stopped at the outbreak of war, but once the restrictions on building materials were removed in 1954, the development of the Estate was resumed. These developments were carried out through Moor Park Limited and (to a small extent) Kewferry Hill Estate Co. Ltd, both subsidiaries of Lever Brothers Limited. Moor Park Limited went into voluntary liquidation in 1957 and in the following year with the assistance and agreement of Lever Brothers, Moor Park (1958) Limited (the present Company) was formed as a management company operated on behalf of the Members. The private roads and open spaces were transferred to the Company as well as the benefits of the restrictive covenants designed to preserve the character of the Estate. The covenants are included in the deeds of all properties. The purpose of Moor Park (1958) Limited was, ‘to protect and promote the interests of the residents generally and of the Members in particular in relation to the Estate and to preserve the amenities of the Estate’.
The history of the Moor Park Estate has been published in a booklet, Moor Park, by Alan Jamieson which is available at £4.00 a copy from the Moor Park company office.